North Central College presents the student-directed drama “Sin,” a modern-day morality play set in the aftermath of the 1989 San Francisco earthquake.
“Sin” is a play written by Wendy MacLeod and set in San Francisco during the 1989 earthquake that ravaged the city. The catastrophe lays the frame for the show and tracks the growth of the main character, Avery. Throughout the show, Avery encounters each of the seven other characters, including her estranged husband, boss, roommate, and blind date, each of whom embody one of the seven deadly sins. Avery considers herself virtuous and morally higher than the others, but as the show progresses Avery finds she has to face the reality of sin.
Three performances of “Sin” will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 27-29 in North Central College’s theatre at Meiley-Swallow Hall, 31 S. Ellsworth St. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens. For more information call the North Central College Box Office at 630-637-SHOW (7469) or visit northcentralcollege.edu/showtix.
The production is directed by Rebekah Thurston of Chatham, Ill., a senior majoring in broadcast communication with a minor in theatre. The production is part of the college’s Student Director Series, in which embers of the College’s theatre faculty invite students to submit a proposal to direct their own theatrical productions and the best are chosen.
The cast for “Sin” features:
- Avery: Katie Quinn of Bethesda, Md., a sophomore majoring in sociology and anthropology
- Michael (Sloth): Evan Michalic of St. Charles, a junior majoring in theatre
- Man (Lust): Cullen Rogers of North Aurora, a junior majoring in psychology
- Date (Greed): Brian Warren of Glendale Heights, a junior majoring in theatre
- Helen (Gluttony): Jesek West of Cerro Gordo, Ill., a sophomore majoring in musical theatre
- Fred (Envy): Jack Bauer of Manhattan, Ill., a sophomore double-majoring in theatre and psychology
- Jason (Wrath): Kevin Williams of Nashville, Tenn., a senior double-majoring in musical theatre and psychology
- Gerard (Pride): Erik Burke of Monroe, Mich., a sophomore double-majoring in theatre and musical theatre