Laundry Room Fire Breaks Out At Merner Fieldhouse

Naperville firefighters quickly knock out fire on North-Central College campus early Monday morning.

Naperville firefighters quickly extinguished a fire at North-Central College early Monday morning.

Around 2:37 a.m., campus security from the college reported a fire in the laundry room in the Merner Fieldhouse at 450 S. Brainard.

The first fire unit arrived on the scene at 2:43 a.m. and found smoke inside the building, according to a Naperville Fire Department media advisory.

Due the location, a general alarm assignment was dispatched, bringing a total of two trucks, three engines, a heavy rescue squad and two ambulances to the scene along with two command officers.

The first fire unit arrived on the scene at 2:43 am and found smoke inside the building. Crews began fire suppression efforts and ventilated the area. The fire was knocked back within 10 minutes.

Fire officials said the fire was contained to a dryer unit in the laundry room, but smoke extended to the in the building’s first and second floors.

The building was open for normal operations on Monday.

The fire loss is estimated to be around $5,000. The cause of the fire is attributed to the dryer.

Fire officials said there were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.

Source: Naperville Fire Department

Hector February 25, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Actually, the smart meter could still be responsible for this fire Gerard. If the dryer wouldn't comply with the smart meters demand to turn itself off because of high energy use at a peak demand time, the meter could have sent a spike and eliminated the threat, knowing that any new dryer will be an energy efficient unit and trained to obey the smart meter.
Gerard Schilling February 26, 2014 at 08:23 AM
You sound disappointed Hector. Give it time and our nanny state will get around to controlling all aspects of our existence minus any freedom while stealing more and more of the income of the few producers of wealth left so they can bribe the votes from the wagon riders.
cantfixstupid February 26, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Gerard.,..I've read your comments for quite some time...you seem to spend a lot of time researching your opinion. Please know your facts before making statements. In regards to the fire that killed 3 people.....have you driven by there or are you unable to leave your computer for fear of missing an arguement? The fire was on the side of the house, nowhere near the smart meter which was located in the middle of the back of the house. the fire was near the gas meter. Did you know gas companies are using smart meter technology? While you depend most of your waking hours researching your opinion..I would research the effect all the hours in front of your computer monitor and the EMF'S that come off the cords to your computer...along with your wireless internet you are on all day long. I also find it amazing that you think this town did not have any fires until smart meters were installed. Many fires happen in meter sockets with the old style of meter due to homeowners who do not maintain their side of electric facilities. Research that. Compare apples to apples and get facts not propaganda.
Gerard Schilling February 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM
The propaganda my dear friend is all on one side," theirs"! When forced to have a device placed on MY house I demand appropriate and reasonable conditions like having it UL and CSA approved. Since the only way free citizens can force government to do the right thing is to hold their feet to the fire (pun intended) I will continue to ask appropriate questions when I think they are warranted. The total smart meter program was a scam and our new rates prove it. Read all about it in the Tribune.
Michael Hunt February 26, 2014 at 02:17 PM
Gerard had just gotten over his ager about being "forced" to have running water in his home, and now this Smart Meter business starts up. Can't the Man ever give a reactionary a break?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »