Summertime drinks are a refreshing way to enjoy the otherwise hot days and nights of the season. We have rounded up some of the best recipes, perfect to quench your thirst while quelling the heat. These grown-up and family friendly beverages are sure to compliment your next barbecue, lawn party or other outdoor event!
Drink Recipes of the Adult Variety
- Raspberry and Chocolate Mint Mojitos - Put an Andes Mint twist on this classic cocktail. Don't have a muddler to mash the ingredients? This author suggests the bottom of an ice cream scooper, but if you don't have one the bottom of a shot glass works great too!
- Skinny Beer Margaritas - The average Margarita contains about 450 calories. This recipe is only 229 calories. (We'll take two please!)
- White Sangria - With all of the lemons and oranges in this cocktail, you can catch a buzz and fight scurvy too!
- Rooster Punch - This take on Sangria is served at award-winning chef Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster restaurant in New York.
- Honey Dew Fizz - Something to do with all that left over honeydew melon (that nobody ever eats) from the fruit salad your Aunt Martha brought over.
- Sucker Punch - Inspired by the film, this cocktail takes a bit of preparation but it will sure impress your guests. The creator of this cocktail said it's “the best of all worlds, sweet, spicy, and strong…just like any good woman!” (Groan)
- Electric Lemonade - We found this recipe on a men's website (not the kind with naked women, Gutter Mind) promoting summer cocktails that are still "manly." This recipe calls for Blue Curacao. Consume enough and your lips and tongue will turn blue. Hmm...we don't know about you ladies, but the last time we went man hunting we're pretty sure that guys with blue lips weren't our first choices for flirting at the club...maybe just drink one.
- Summer Brew with Corona - Can't decide on liquor or beer? Combine 'em in this simple cocktail made with vodka and beer!
Drink Recipes Perfect for the Whole Family
- Sweet Lavender-Mint Iced Tea - We can't remember the last time we ordered iced tea with no booze in it but we might give this a shot!
- Blueberry Spritzer - This drink is full of antioxidants and great for adults and children (we won't tell them it's good for them!).
- Watermelon Smoothie - We found this recipe on a "diabetic friendly" website. A refreshing treat low on sugar.
- Blackberry Mint Tea Lemonade - The perfect combination of sour and sweet, this looks great served in a classic, glass pitcher.
- Red, White and Blue Punch - A Rocket Pop popsicle in a drink. Parents, if you can pull this off, your kid will think you're the coolest (until he or she becomes a teen...then you're out of luck for awhile).
- Dora’s Tropical Fruit Smoothie - A Pina Colada for kids!
- Flavored Water - Naturally flavor your water with fresh fruits. Now you have no excuse for not drinking your eight glasses a day.
- Mint Juleps (non-alcoholic) - Yea, we know it's not really a mint julep without the bourbon, but don't knock it 'til ya' try it! It sounds good to us.
Whether you try one or pick and sample a few for the 4th of July weekend, let us know what your favorite is!