Editor's Note: The following is a release from the Illinois Department of Transportation. To read the full release, click HERE.
With thousands of motorists expected to travel on state roadways over the Fourth of July holiday weekend, the Illinois Department of Transportation announced that road work will be suspended where possible for the weekend to reduce potential congestion and improve traffic flow.
The advance notice of lane closures for the holiday weekend is designed to aid motorists’ travel plans and improve safety.
“Independence Day is often celebrated with friends and family usually traveling long distances to connect,” said Illinois Transportation Secretary Gary Hannig.
“With heavy traffic expected over the holiday weekend, IDOT is providing a list of closures in advance to help motorists plan their trips. With less construction and heavy equipment in use this weekend, traffic congestion can be reduced, and safety and traffic flow will continue to improve.”
Starting at 3 p.m. Friday, IDOT will suspend all non-emergency road work and open up all lanes where possible until midnight July 4.
Some construction zones throughout the state will continue to have lane closures in effect, due to the nature of some projects. IDOT is urging motorists to slow down, obey posted speed limits and drive with caution through work zones. Holiday travelers are reminded that work zone speed limits are still in effect wherever they are posted.
The following are locations where permanent lane closures remain in place:
- Lily Cache Lane (Veteran’s Parkway to Creekside Dr.) – pavement reconstruction – one lane open in each direction.
- West River Road over an unnamed tributary to the Kankakee River - box culvert replacement, road closed, detour posted.
- IL 59 from I-55 to IL 126-major reconstruction – 2 lane highway with day time lane closures from I-55 to IL 126 in Shorewood and Plainfield.
- 88th Avenue over Forked Creek -bridge reconstruction – road closed and posted detour in place.
- Intersection of Glenview & Greenwood- intersection reconstruction – staged traffic control – one lane open in each direction.
- I-57 at 111th-bridge reconstruction – shoulder closures on I-57. 111th St. closed at I-57; traffic detoured to 112th Place.
- US 12/45 over the SOO Line Railroad and Franklin Ave. - bridge construction –two of 3 lanes open in each direction.
- Palatine Road at Plum Grove Road – reconstruction – Palatine Road; one way traffic westbound-US 14 Plum Grove Road.
- Bluff Avenue from 47th St. to Cossitt Ave-reconstruction – road closed, detour signs are posted.
- 175th St. at Harlem Avenue – reconstruction – road closed; detour signs are posted.
- 79th Street over CSX RR – bridge deck overlay; northbound and southbound has one lane open in each direction.
- 159th St. (US 6) from I-294 to east of IL 1 (Halsted St., for reconstruction with 159th St. closed from Park Ave. to Center St.; detour posted using IL 1 (Halsted St.) Sibley Blvd. and Dixie Highway. One lane closed on 159th St. from I-294 to Park Ave. and from Center St. to east of Halsted. One lane is closed in each direction on Dixie Highway, Wood St., Park Ave. & IL 1 (Halsted St. at 159th St.)
- Southwest Highway over the B&O RR (southwest of Ridgeland Ave.)-bridge and intersection reconstruction with one lane closed in each direction of Southwest Highway & Ridgeland Ave..
- Roosevelt Road/Harlem to Austin – reconstruction – staged traffic control – one lane open in each direction.
- East Frontage Road over Salt Creek Bridge rehabilitation – one lane open in each direction.
- Whitehall Avenue over Addison Creek and Prater - bridge removal and replacement – road closed, please follow detour.
- Elston Avenue over the Edens Expressway – interchange reconstruction – one lane is open in each direction.
- I-94 (Bishop Ford Expressway) at Cottage Grove Ave. – bridge replacement – Cottage Grove is closed to traffic, detour is posted.
- Congress Parkway Bridge reconstruction, eastbound two lanes open and westbound one lane open. See web site for updates:
- IL 68 (Dundee Road)-water main relocation and bridge reconstruction – one lane open in each direction.
- Il 83 at Greenleaf – roadway reconstruction, one lane open in each direction.
- IL 83 at Pratt Roadway – reconstruction, one lane open in each direction.
- US 20 at York Road/I-290 – interchange reconstruction – one lane open in each direction.
- Washington St.,- pavement patching – one-way traffic westbound on IL 59 to Il 38.
- Villa Ave. from Madison to St. Charles-reconstruction – road closed to through traffic.
- Short St. over east branch of DuPage River – bridge reconstruction, road closed, posted detour.
- 22nd Street from IL 83 to IL 56 – roadway reconstruction with new traffic signals – two lanes open in each direction.
- IL 56 and IL 59 – intersection one lane open in each direction.
- IL 47 from Reed Road at Kreutzer. Kane/McHenry Roadway reconstruction with new traffic signals. One lane open in each direction with left turn lanes at signalized intersections. (also in McHenry and Lake Counties)
- IL 31 and Oak Road bridge deck replacement – one lane open in each direction.
- US 45 from IL 120 to Washington St., roadway reconstruction and widening – one lane open in each direction with left two lanes at signalized intersections.
- IL 83 at IL 132 – intersection improvement – one lane open in each direction with left turn lane at the intersection.
- IL 173 over the Des Plaines River – beam replacement – signal at bridge will allow one lane of traffic at a time.
- IL 173 over the boat channels-1.8 mile and 2.5 miles west of IL 59 – bridge replacement bridge superstructure replacement. – signals at bridges allow one lane of traffic at a time.
- IL 47 from Reed Road at Kreutzer – roadway reconstruction with new traffic signals – one lane in each direction wit left turn lanes at signalized intersections-(also in Kane and McHenry Counties).
- IL 83 from Petite Lake Road to Wisconsin State Line-widening including drainage with new signals – one lane open in each direction.
- I-94 North South Freeway Project – from Russell Road to Illinois/Wisconsin State Line-(project continues into Wisconsin 250’ which WI is conducting). Reconstruction of I-94 – 2 lanes closed in each direction; I-94 East (southbound) exit ramp to Russel Road closed.
- IL 22 roadway reconstruction, widening and traffic signals; one lane open in each direction.
To read about closures in other counties, read the full release by clicking HERE.