The DuPage County Health Department encourages homeowners to educate themselves on the dangers of radon, an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas, during National Radon Awareness Month.
Get news in your inbox. Sign up for the Patch newsletter.
Like Naperville Patch on Facebook.
Radon is a radioactive gas generated by the natural decay of uranium in soil and rocks, estimated to cause as many as 20,000 deaths from lung cancer each year throughout the United States. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today, following tobacco use.
Testing is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from radon. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes below the third floor for radon. Testing is inexpensive and easy — it should only take a few minutes of your time. Millions of Americans have already tested their homes for radon. Do-it-yourself test kits are inexpensive and can be purchased at hardware stores, home improvement stores and over the Internet.
Professional testing services are also available. National Radon Awareness Month is sponsored by the EPA.
Refer to the EPA’s website at http://www.epa.gov/radon/index.html for additional information including remediation information if radon is found in homes.
Information courtesy of a press release from the DuPage County Health Department.