So were off!!
The colors change for the Derby every year so I go to the official Kentucky Derby web site, place my order for the invitations and see what colors we will be working with for that particular year. Their are usually 2 colors we use to decorate with. I incorporate these colors into the linens and napkins we will use for the event. I prefer to use a silky fabric as it resembles the jockeys uniform which they call silks.
How to decorate
- Red roses, roses. and more roses place in silver julep cups and fill with roses and use as a table center piece.
- A horseshoe wreath in the center of the table with a ribbon draped over it that that says Winner is a fun idea. If your the creative type try it yourself, or go to your local florist for help.
- Place horseshoes on party tables, buffet, or hang some on walls.
- I happened to find a photo of a horse race. I brought it to my local printer and had him blow up the picture. Then I hung it up across the tent.
What to Do
- Tell the ladies bring their own decorated hat from home. During the party have the men judge who has the best hat and offer a prize.
- Set up a Bourbon tasting table with small cordial glasses. Have everyone vote which one is their favorite.
- Outdoors offer the adults a game of horseshoes and pin the tail on the horse for the kids.
- Of course, you should take bets and give betting tickets Its also a good idea to make a poster with all the horses names on it.
- Lastly make sure that flat screen of yours works and place in your party area so that everyone can watch the race.
Southern Food & Drink Ideas
- In keeping with the day serve Mint juleps the day of the race in perhaps the official Mint Julep glass that can be taken home as a souvenir. Personally over the years I have not been able to acquire a taste for this drink. But try it yourself and see what you think. You will need lots of shaved ice.
- Provide casual southern food such as salad, bourbon marinated pork, hot brown sandwiches, and corn on the cob.
- For dessert don't forget to serve the derby pie and maybe a pecan pie too.
- For a more elegant affair you may want to use your finest silver, china , crystal and uniformed staff.
Having a Kentucky derby party is a great way to kick off spring. Its up to you on how you create your theme from casual to elegant. Its an exciting day so have fun with it ! Who knows maybe it will become a tradition in your home.
For more info visit barbaraseleganttouchstaffing.com.