A student-directed-and-performed presentation of the musical "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" will take place at North Central College's Pfeiffer Hall.
Tickets will cost $15 per adult; $10 per student and senior citizen.
A musical about the struggles of growing up while making your mark in the world, actors will portray five elementary school-aged youngsters clawing, conniving and spelling their way into Putnam County history.
Based on Rebecca Feldman’s improvisational play “C-R-E-P-U-S-C-U-L-E,” “Spelling Bee” made its Broadway debut in 2005.
The production will be directed, choreographed, staged and coordinated entirely by senior students majoring in theatre.
The students began working together last spring, selecting the show they wanted to present, then holding auditions and rehearsals this school year.
The principal parts for North Central’s production of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” include (part, actor, town, year, major):
- Chip Tolentino: Max Detogne of Arlington Heights, a junior majoring in speech communication
- Leaf Coneybear: Bryan Renaud of Sugar Grove, a junior majoring in theatre
- Mitch Mahoney: Darien Hutchinson of Plainfield, a freshman majoring in musical theatre
- Vice Principal Panch: Mark Campbell of Glen Ellyn, a senior majoring in English writing
- William Barfee: Kyle Ryan of Plainfield, a freshman majoring in speech communication
- Logan SchwartzandGrubenierre: Tina Naponelli of Crystal Lake, a freshman majoring in choral music education
- Marcy Park: Cassie Nelson of Lincoln, Neb., a sophomore majoring in music and musical theatre
- Olive Ostrovsky: Grace Heimerl of Naperville, a junior majoring in musical theatre
- Rona Lisa Peretti: Chelsea Ward of Naperville, a freshman majoring in musical theatre
Chorus singers/understudies will include:
- Cara Burke
- Kathryn Lepine
- Brett Bush
- Aronzo Traylor