Want to make a New Year’s resolution that will not only benefit you but also make a difference in your community? Lend a hand at DuPage Children's Museum (DCM) and make an important difference to the thousands of children and families who visit each year by becoming a volunteer! Volunteers are an essential part of the DCM team, and opportunities are available to suit almost every schedule and interest.
The Museum is currently in need of adult volunteers during the week to provide support on the Museum floor and for behind-the-scenes administrative and maintenance needs. All volunteers enjoy a free family membership to the Museum, invitations to social events, training and development opportunities, flexible scheduling, discounts in the S.M.A.R.T. Café, and the opportunity to meet new people and make a difference in the lives of children. Current opportunities include:
· Play Assistant: Play with children in our innovative and exciting exhibit neighborhoods. Help children experience the wonder of math, science, and art through playful learning opportunities.
· Museum Assistant: Learn about our exciting exhibits as you assist staff on the busy Museum floor.
· Art Studio: Assist staff with educational and fun art programming.
· Visitor Services: Greet visitors with a bright, friendly smile and provide assistance and directions to guests.
· Maintenance: Assist staff with building maintenance, exhibit building or repair, landscaping, carpentry, etc.
· Administrative: Use your unique skills in areas such as research, photography, computers, event planning, and more to assist office staff.
Volunteers have been an important part of the success of DCM since its beginnings, when two extraordinary volunteers, Louise Beem and Dorothy Carpenter, co-founded the Museum in 1987 with the purpose of providing open-ended, interactive learning experiences for young children. In the last fiscal year, 858 volunteers dedicated more than 23,000 hours to positively affect the learning experiences of children and their families at the Museum.
“Volunteers play a critical role in our day-to-day operations, from greeting visitors and cleaning exhibits to working in our Creativity Studio or assisting with special events,” said Diane Ernst, DCM Coordinator of Volunteer Resources. “They also act as ambassadors in their communities and share their enthusiasm for DCM’s incredible learning environment.”
Interested in getting involved? Contact Diane Ernst, Coordinator of Volunteer Resources, at 630-637-8000 ext. 4680 to schedule a tour of the Museum and to learn more about the many ways for individuals, organizations, and corporations to volunteer at DCM. Or get started by applying online at dupagechildrens.org/support-the-museum/volunteer.